Our History


History Booklet
1882 duke_of_albany

Club formed – named in honour of Duke of Albany (Queen Victoria’s son)

1889 Sir John A. MacDonald

Sir John A. Macdonald, whose friends + supporters helped found the Club, becomes its first Honourary President

1898 King Street East Toronto

Albany Club moves from 75 Bay Street to 91 King Street East

1913

91 King Street East purchased by Albany Club for $110,000

1931 Albany Club History

Did you know?

The chairs purchased to furnish the main dining room still exist and are now used in the Sir John A Macdonald room on the fourth floor.

Original Dining Chairs in Sir John A Room Albany x

Over $100,000 of renovations changed late-Victorian clubhouse to its current neo-classical style.

Open
1940’s Toronto Political Club

Board agreed Club had to regain its original purpose – as a political club – in order to solve its financial problems

1950’s

8 bedrooms changed into private dining rooms; 2nd floor Bar created.

1960’s

Shareholder-owned structure changed to private membership club initiation fees lowered + agreement Conservatives should be recruited as members – regardless of national, ethnic or religious background first Sir John A. Dinner of modern era – restricted to members only.

1979

6 women welcomed as Albany Club’s first female members.

1981

Albany Club celebrates 100 years at 91 King Street East.

2010 Royal Canadian Military Institute

Royal Canadian Military Institute members enjoy Albany Club until their new quarters open in 2014.

2012 Pitt Society

Pitt Society revived, reflecting growing number of younger Club members.

2015 Sir John A. MacDonald

Club celebrates 200th anniversary of Sir John A’s birth, as membership increases to over 850 members.

Established 1882